Thursday, September 28, 2006

It's all about Food and Thursday

I am not sure why but I've been looking forward to Thursday all week. Anastasia and Marvin and Lola and Lolo and Uncle mark have the 'coldS' I'm still fighting it off. Good. Why do filipinos add 'S's in the strangest places. Tonight we were at Ikea, enjoying the SmallLand services of course and picking up some galvanized steel shelves for the laundry closet. We are getting so organized thanks to Marnie and Savvy Space Solutions. Check out her website http://www.savvyspacesolutions.com/ My husband was giggling in the as is section at a buggy with wood/laminate scraps labelled $15-cart of woodS. He says it with an accent and points out the guy who obviously marked it. He's bugged him for discounts enough times. Calling it, 'using the brown card' Strange since he won't even mark off the 'visible minority' box on any kind of forms or applications. I am so grateful to be exposed to his culture especially the food. My nieces Jessica and Aimee really like it too which was a total surprise. If you don't already know Filipinos and Filipinas are very friendly and giving. They love parties and food. Lots of food! Good food. A lot of honkies don't like the food but I am not one of them. I like the chocolate meat (dinuguan), the kilawayne(kinda like sushi but with smelts), the danackdugan(snouts and ears,my new favorite, especially when cooked by Jhun), the bittermelon salad, champuraddo, caldaretta(especially with goat), calamansi, adobo, arroz caldo, and the scary fishes with eyeballs included, granted kari-kari (peanut butter and oxtail stew)and pinakbet(a name considered for our first child) isn't my favorite but I eat it anyway. I am probably making some spelling errors on the names of these dishes, but i gotta let you know what you're missing if you haven't tried Phillipine cuisine. There's more than rice, lumpia and pansit you know. I was lucky to be exposed to this varied cuisine at a young age however and blessed with a mother who taught me to try everything and enjoy a wide variety of foods. Plus my mother-in-law aka Lola is a fabulous cook! Do you like Pho-the Vietnamese soup? Our friends Hien and Ha just opened a new bubble tea and pho shop on 25th and Oak. You gotta check it out. You'll love the sign. It's near their salon and it's called Gizmo. It's yummy. If you are saying, 'What the Pho?' then you gotta try the Vietnamese food out there. I'm not a foodie but I do like Asian foods. My son's favorite besides mcdonalds is sushi. My daughter really likes cucumbers. I think Patrick's favorite must be pasta because we're always cooking and eating it. He's a great cook and that is lucky for our whole family. Thank-you Carolina for teaching me to make the Caldo from Columbia. We had it tonight again. It's a yummy soup with chicken, cilantro, plantains, squash and corn on the cob inside it. Also congratualations on your new baby boy-Edwin. You have 3 kids now. Unbelieveable!

No comments: